Quantcast
Liver & Shad Gut Mustad Catfish Hooks

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Festus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Liver & Shad Gut Mustad Catfish Hooks

Has anyone ever used any of these Mustad shad gut and liver hooks or can you recommend them? They are expensive, at least $1.80 to $2.00 each. Check out the attachment. They have a safety pin type attachment to hold the bait.

Michael Craig
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

I have used them and found that they hold the bait well but you get poor hook set. The bend of the hook is small compared to other hooks. I would prefer to use larger hooks with thread or other means of holding the bait on.

IT ONLY TAKES ONE CAST--MY DAY WILL COME

Festus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Those hooks look ok for maybe using liver, shad guts, and maybe half a cut big shiner or cut big chub or other dead long, lean baitfish to stay on well. But the biggest hook size they make is 1/0, and the dern shank looks to be 3" long. They look ok for bullheads or smaller channels or blues under 10 pounds. I'm not much of a liver user, but may get a pack to try anyway.

MIKE
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought my grand daughter some, but I can't tell you how well they work. I still have a pack of them somewhere but the only time I use liver is in small farm ponds or lakes. Its been awhile since I fished a small pond or lake. They do look like they would be good for holding liver though.

Richard Morrison
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If your going to use liver i have found the best possible way for me any way... All i do it take atlas bait mesh i get it at bass pro for like $2 for 60 4X4 squares..and some atlas elastic thread from bass pro for around $2 and make like liver sacks..It is super soft matierial and works GREAT..Ill post a video from youtube of the guy i learned this from and he catches some NICE channels!!!

Heres the video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV9n2JapC1Y

Festus
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the video, Richard. The Internet is running really slow right now because of all this snow but I bookmarked it and will check it out later. I noticed there were several other good videos on there. We used to make cheese, so I have plenty of cheesecloth around which will work as bait mesh. But at the price you mentioned, $2 for baitmesh and $2 for elastic thread is a great price. Mostly I wanted these weird looking hooks is for shad guts or threading pieces of shiner or chub on.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfishboy1995 View Post
    If your going to use liver i have found the best possible way for me any way... All i do it take atlas bait mesh i get it at bass pro for like $2 for 60 4X4 squares..and some atlas elastic thread from bass pro for around $2 and make like liver sacks..It is super soft matierial and works GREAT..Ill post a video from youtube of the guy i learned this from and he catches some NICE channels!!!

Heres the video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV9n2JapC1Y

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Has anyone ever used any of these Mustad shad gut and liver hooks or can you recommend them? They are expensive, at least $1.80 to $2.00 each. Check out the attachment. They have a safety pin type attachment to hold the bait.
    I haven't used them for years but they should work fine. CC sells them. The mesh would probably work better though. I know some people even cut up pieces of pantyhose and use that on a treble hook, fasten a small rubber band around the top. The hooks were originally designed to be used with softshell crayfish. I have some that were made back in the 40's.

Mike
    Post Thanks / Like

I use them. They do work really well holding on bait. The bigger the hook the better for the hook set though. Mickey is right about the hook bend on the smaller hooks. I think they go up to a 2/0.

john
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

What Micky said. I have used them without much success they hold the liver well but the hook set leaves a lot to be desired. Now shad guts I have been told work good and a lot of folks use them but I wonder how a man keeps them suckers on the hook as I fish fast current most all the time(Missouri River) any tips would be appreciated, I say save your money Festus JMHO,J.D.

Chris
    Post Thanks / Like

Just use any hook type you want (circles for me) and leave a tag end of 10" or so when you tie it on. Put your liver or guts on, wrap the tag end around the bait several times then tie a loose overhand knot to keep it from unwrapping. Works pretty well, and doesn't cost any extra money or use any extra tackle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast