Quantcast
24 volt wiring diagram for trolling motor batts

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Glen Whipkins
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 24 volt wiring diagram for trolling motor batts

Anyone have a wiring diagram showing how the batteries are supposed to be wired for a 24 volt trolling motor? I think mine is wired wrong cause the troller is only running on 12 volts. Thanks,Boog

Chuck
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you asked that Boog. Mine is doing the same thing. Just got the boat last year and never got into looking at it. Thought maybe the 24 volt switch was just burnt out.

Glen Whipkins
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought my boat used and the previous owner didn't know much about boats. He told me he thought the guy who had it before him had it wired to run on 12 volt. As it is, the batteries are wired in series. I just don't remember from my other boat if this is correct or if they need to be wired in parallel. Any info appreciated. Thanks! Boog

Jim Helring
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe series is correct for 24v.That would be the Pos hooked to the Neg of the other battery.I would go to a battery website and check it out however.I think someone posted the diagrams in the library a while back.:)

Marty

Post Thanks / Like

For a 24 volt only motor (not a 12/24 switchable), simply take the positive lead from one battery to the negative lead of the other battery, and take the remaining two leads to your trolling motor. That's a series wiring and will give you 24 volts.

For a 12/24 it gets a little more complicated. If that's what you have, let me know and I'll try to explain it.

Chuck
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is a 12/24. Has a switch on the foot petal.

Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Well, not sure I can explain the wiring like I thought.

Your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer of your trolling motor and get them to send you a typical wiring diagram for a 12/24 volt setup, then start tracing out the wiring in your boat and see whether it works or not.

If you get nothing when you switch to the 24 volt setting on your footswitch, then it certainly could be wiring internal to the footswitch. Get the schematic for your motor as well as a typical wiring diagram and you should be able to trace it all out, provided you know at least a little about electrical stuff and can use a multimeter. If you aren't sure, find a friend who knows about electrical wiring and get him to help.

The tricky part (and the part that's so hard to explain) is that you most likely have a 3-prong socket to plug your trolling motor into the boat -- and figuring out how to get 24 volts and 12 volts out of 3 wires is a bit of challenge, unless you're only using 1 battery on the 12 volt setting, which is unlikely.

On the other hand, if you have a 4-wire plug, it's all pretty trivial -- the 4 wires provide positive and negative from each battery and the switch on your controller handles whether the batteries are in parallel (for 12v) or series (for 24v).

dick
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the wiring diagram for my 12/24 volt Motorguide.If it't what anybody wants, I'll scan it again and try to get a clear photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Joe
    Post Thanks / Like

I followed this to wire my 24 volt motor guide.Two batteries,and i am able to run 24 volts to the motor and run all my 12 volt accessories,IE;radio,bilge,livewelll,lights,cb,... ....

just run a wire from positive to negative between two batteries,now run the positive wire from motor to the positive terminal opposite the negative post you just wired.The negative lead from motor(this is the common ground)wire to the negative oppsite your first connection made.

If you don't have a fuse already installed,put in an inline fuse between powewr cable of motor and positive terminal of battery b
    50 amp fuse is rfecomended

The battery with the common ground is battery A and the battery with the jumper on the negative terminal is battery B.
    (jumper wire went from positive to negative)
    Battery b will draw 24 volts
    battery a will draw 12 and you can safely run all your gadgets and gizmos off battery a

Attached Images Attached Images  

Johnny
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully this will help some of you out as well.

http://k0swi.microlnk.com/REVIEW/BAT...PLICATIONS.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast