Treble Hooks/Chicken Liver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ricky Risinger
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Treble Hooks/Chicken Liver

Whats the best way to keep chicken liver on a treble hook in running water?
    Ricky :confused:
    What happened to the BOC Store, cant seem to find it since moving to the new site.

willisjj
    monster catfish

Try tying a snap swivel on the end of your line, then run the shank of your hook up through your liver and attach to hook to your snap swivel. It stays pretty well that way. You might also try using beef livers which, in my opinion don't work as well as chicken, but they are a little tougher and stay on better. Some other options would be using the panty hose, or tying it up with string or something like that. I don't use any of those methods, but then, I usually don't fish fast rivers either.

Travis Cornell
    Post Thanks / Like

All that I do is plug the chicken liver onto a circle hook and hurl it out there. But, like Willis, I dont fish fast current either. I just have this small sluggish spot in the creek that I go to, and throw it out there. As for a treble, I would have to go with Willis again. It seems like the best way would be to stab the shank through it, and then snap it onto your line. That way the three barbs will support the liver a bit more.

Doug Eggleston
    Post Thanks / Like

ahh, treble hooks and liver. They go together just like bread and butter. I have really good luck with the freshest liver possible and then impale the glob of bait on a couple of the hook points then slowly wrap the liver around the shank of the hook. I use the bait holder type with the spring and you can feel the senewy strand in the liver take hold.

good luck

egg

Johnny
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it be better to use cured chicken liver? :0a36:

Joe
    Post Thanks / Like

theres a thread available thats mostly used for salmon fishishing? i think.Its used to hold the salmon eggs or other fish eggs on the hook,but it works very well with chicken liver on a regular/circle hook.
    Should have no problem keeping the liver on with a treble hook.I use it sometimes with a circle hook in fast current and never have a problem with it coming off.
    The river i fish is tidal water so when the tid is goin out,and the current is goin its usually runnin around 15mph! :p

Aaron Massey
    Post Thanks / Like

willis said it........use a swivel and up end the hook into a nice chunk....should stay on well even after a hit........

Ryan Joseph (Ryjoe)
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Ramrod on this one. I sun cure my chicken livers with garlic salt and let them sit for about one or two hours on each side. I thread my livers on even after I cure them. That's how my bro caught his fifty pounder, and last weekend I caught my twenty five pounder. Everyone has their own technique though. Whatever you do, have fun doing it! Good Luck Fishin!!

-Later

Kelly
    Post Thanks / Like

How about tossing a hand full of chicken livers in a blender with two hand fulls of wheaties. Creates a nice paste that will stick to bait holder hooks like stink bait.

Another thing I've done is just tie the hook with a long tag end, then use the tag end to wrapp around the baited hook and a simple half hitch or over hand will hold things in place pretty well.

Just a couple of my own techniques

Jason Curl
    Post Thanks / Like

I just hook the liver as many times as possible and give it a lob with a long pole. It will get out there pretty far, I have been doing this since I started catfishing. Every once in a while it will come off the hook but I guess thats the way it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast