Quantcast
WV RIVER MONSTERS...

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Justin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WV RIVER MONSTERS...

ok - so everybody has seen the show river monsters. Jeremy Wade is an amazingly skilled angler, and his dedication to the giants of our freshwater has inspired myself to explore a local "legend" so to speak.

anybody who has ever fished the Kanawha River in Charleston, WV has heard the stories of monster catfish bigger than volkswagens. Yet, the largest catfish our state has produced is a rather meek 70 pound flathead from 1950. One of my good friends landed a 70 pounder that was an inch short of the record, and 2 ounces short.... other than these 2 fish, our state doesn't have any real trophy cat's that have been landed... our state record blue is 26 pounds for christ's sake. this is sad... anybody interested in searching for the big boys contact me on here or through myspace.... myspace.com/justinvaughttattoos.... let's put WV on the map where we belong.

JEFFRO
    Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the BOC..take Danzig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Giant Flatheads

My Mission is to break the WV record...I have fished for 25 years focusing very heavily on the flatheads for the past 2 years now and i caught my biggest one to date about 5 days back...39lb 5oz...gives me more hope. I will continue to search I know shes down there somewhere.
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaa.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	180042

Steve Douglas
    Post Thanks / Like

Default just last week and he stil out there for someone to catch

Jerry
    Post Thanks / Like

I do believe there are flatheads in the Kanawha in excess of 80-100 lb range. I also believe to catch 1 of these you will have to camp out with bait the size of other peoples trophies. I have personally hooked into fish a few times that have completely manhandled me once when I was about 15 I hooked 1 that literally was almost pulling me in the river, I had someone helping me and finally it broke me off. Then another occasion I hooked something on a a 14-15 inch creek chub and it left me almost unable to move I had recently had a slight back injury and this fish yanked me around the boat dock like a toy before finally spooling me. I have targeted flatheads on the Kanawha since I was 13 and I am now 39 and these fish still outsmart me.

Also most people do not take water clarity into account when fishing for flatheads. I have said it time and time again that after the spring rains are done you will always catch bigger fish on lighter clear mono line vs braid. So when everyone is trying to catch these beasts using 100 lb braid in a river that often runs super clear they are lessening the odds.
    I have caught all of my biggest fish on 14 lb mono using shad or skipjacks in excess of 15-16 inches ( I have also snapped the line and shot shad nearly across the river lol ) to get one of these River Monsters its going to take a stroke of luck and a crap load of time on the river.

In short you will just have to have a stroke of luck combined with the knowledge of your body of water.

(PS) Sorry this isnt very coherent I am on new medicine bear with me.

Christian
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep on man you will break them but i will be competing with you for the gold haha I fish this water i know hard i know there is record lurking there. But congrads on the fish and keep going after it youll get it.

Mark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I fish the Mon, south of Morgantown. I have seen, in the fall, fish feeding on top water that are at least as big as the one in the record pictures. Never caught any that big, but I am fishing for them.

Jonathan
    Post Thanks / Like

My great grandfather Levega McClung has the state record for Flathead. He caught it in 1956. He caught it in the Little Kanawha and I can say without a doubt it was because he new the river well and I think that is the key. He was the Lockmaster in Burning Springs. I can also say without a doubt that his son (my grandfather) Earnest McClung beat that record, but would never have had his fathers name taken off the record. They both lived to fish and spent there lives on the river. I have no doubt that if my father would have lived long enough he would also have caught some of the biggest cats in Wv. I really think the key is knowing where to drop the bait. If you or anyone else beat the Wv state flathead record, I will be the first to congragulate you, as I have no doubt my great grandfather would also if he was sill alive. Good luck..

Jerry
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Family Tradition View Post
    My great grandfather Levega McClung has the state record for Flathead. He caught it in 1956. He caught it in the Little Kanawha and I can say without a doubt it was because he new the river well and I think that is the key. He was the Lockmaster in Burning Springs. I can also say without a doubt that his son (my grandfather) Earnest McClung beat that record, but would never have had his fathers name taken off the record. They both lived to fish and spent there lives on the river. I have no doubt that if my father would have lived long enough he would also have caught some of the biggest cats in Wv. I really think the key is knowing where to drop the bait. If you or anyone else beat the Wv state flathead record, I will be the first to congragulate you, as I have no doubt my great grandfather would also if he was sill alive. Good luck..
    Hi Jon. I have idolized that name for as long as I could hit the river alone. I have eyeballed that record and came within 1 inch for the length but not near the weight.

Justin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Family Tradition View Post

i too, like jerry, have idolized the name LL McLung... i'll chase that record until the day i die, it's an honor to have met a descendant of the man... Thanks for the encouragement!! and Jerry, we need to hit the river soon... let me know brother!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast