Who Makes the Longest Lasting Deep Cycle Battery? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chuck
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a dead battery in a old pickup when I was 16 and the neighbor down the road tinkered a lot with old cars and such. He went in his house and got me some St Joseph Aspirin and said drop 1 in each cell and wait 30 minutes. I did and the old truck started right up. I drop an aspirin in each cell at the end of winter and the batteries in the Tracker I had were 8 years old and still going strong when I sold it last year. What ever those aspirin do keeps the life in the batteries.

Danny
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how to find it but I posted about the medical use battries for my electric wheel chair. I was impressed with them and bought some for my boat. They are gel cell and not cheap to buy but they last so long that you will spend less over time. The most long lasting, powerfull I have ever used or even heard of.

Maybe a mod. could post a link on this thread to my old thread. It has name , numbers and where I got them.

Danny

Mike Ledford
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronesche
    optima makes a very good battery,but a little high,about $150
    Never used Optima but heard several reports that they are great. A little pricey, but you generally get what you pay for. As soon as my old ones die out, I will be switching over to Optima

Jim
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tym2Fish
    Never used Optima but heard several reports that they are great. A little pricey, but you generally get what you pay for. As soon as my old ones die out, I will be switching over to Optima
    OK, I've read about how good Optima and other gel cells are supossed to be, but does anyone here have first hand knowledge or use of them?

And if a gel cell is the way to go, is Optima the best for the money?

Jim
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishMan
    I have found medical use batterys to outlast every boat battery I have tried.

Go to your local medical supply company that sells electric wheel chairs. and ask for gel cell batterys. Tell him they are not for medical use and that you need a good cash price. The same battery that powers my wheel chair is billed to my insurance at $210.00 each, my chair uses 2. For fishing he sells me 2 batterys for $100.00, I mean 50 dollars each, no paper work, cash.
    it's worth a try.

They are so good I would pay 200 for them before I would pay 100 for a marine battery.

They last forever the insides are real thick and can handle the banging they get in a boat. You will not believe how long between charges.

good luck

Danny

---------------------------------------
    2nd post
    The decal on my battery reads as follows

MK POWERED

Distributed by MK battery
    1645 S. Sinclair St.
    Anaheim, CA, 92806

I can't say enough about these batteries, even before getting my fishing boat I used these batteries on a 28 foot pontoon and could troll for miles.

Guys. I get many things wrong but here is what I learned about trolling motors. I see no reason to ever have anything more than a 12 volt motor.
    I believe most will be surprised to find out it is not the volts that moves your boat. just as with your big motor it's more about the prop, . 24 or 36 volts does not turn your prop faster to move your boat faster. It is all hype to get up to spend more money. my 36 pound thurst 12 volt will push my 18.5 boat faster than many 24 or 36 volt motors. the thurst is provided by the prop not the volts. You will have to turn to after market props or get one made but you can get 60 to 100 pounds of thurst from the cheapest of 12 volt motors if the power is transfred properly and unless you get carried away you won't tell any difference on your recharge rate.

I could be wrong.

Danny
    Here is the post you were asking about.
    Last edited by Tulcat; 04-15-2006 at 11:36 PM.

Chris Love

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a gel cell in my truck, works great. I have also hooked a trolling motor up to it, no problem strong all day long.

chris

Danny
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim, good find.

Dave Stevens
    Post Thanks / Like

I run two huge gels in my boat. The only downside is they're probably 70#'s each. But they are awesome. I have a small dual bank onboard charger set to the gel setting that stays plugged in when I'm home. After a long night of fishing, that charger won't even be on but a couple of hours and it's finished. Very maintenence free setup for sure!

Brad Kilpatrick
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tym2Fish
    I was out garage saleing friday and ran accross a sale from a guy that used to work for optima and picked up a New Blue top deep cycle for $60 not to bad for an $188 battery!!!! can't wait to get it set up in the boat to see how it works!!!!!

Sam Hutto
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I learned about deep cycle batteries is when charging, especially when use'n an automatic charger like an onboard bank style, they will kick off before the battery is fully charged, usually at about a 70 to 75% charge, If you leave it on long enough that it turns itself off, turn the charger off, check the voltage, then turn it back on and the next time it kicks off check the voltage again. I've checked a bunch of different ones on several different boats and they all have done this, I'm told some of the newer units are getting better on this but mine is a fairly high dollar, name brand charger found on lots of high end bass boats (it's 4-5years old) and it never full charges a battery. I does a good job if you charge, then turn it off and back on for a couple of hours to top off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast