Quantcast
Minn Kota Terrova and I Pilot

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Curtis Moore
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota Terrova and I Pilot

I know this forum is more suited for discussing finders and sonar, but I didn't know where to put this question frankly.

Anyway, I have been looking at the Terrova and the I Pilot and I have a few questions. It is my understanding that the I Pilot is a 300-400 dollar add on for the Terrova. I wanted to know if it is necessary to buy a Terrova with Co Pilot or Auto pilot or US then, if you are just going to buy the I Pilot anyway, because, you are replacing the brains of the unit when you buy the i pilot. I ask because a Terrova without the Autopilot and Co Pilot acessories is cheaper, and if I dont need them why buy them if I do purchase I Pilot.

Second Question, I know I Pilot can run courses you set off of GPS and record and store passes you make. This may seem dumb, but I wondered if it is possible now to sync the I pilot GPS with say a Lowrance HDS GPS to transfer way points, or try to head towards a recorded way point or trail on your HDS....it seems like that would be too good to be true, but someone told me it is possible to sync the units using ethernet. Any info on the I Pilot and Terrova would be greatly appreciated. Doubt I will get it anytime soon, but its a purchase I am looking into. :cool2:

Andrew
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatHunter24 View Post
    I wanted to know if it is necessary to buy a Terrova with Co Pilot or Auto pilot or US then, if you are just going to buy the I Pilot anyway, because, you are replacing the brains of the unit when you buy the i pilot. I ask because a Terrova without the Autopilot and Co Pilot acessories is cheaper, and if I dont need them why buy them if I do purchase I Pilot.

I-pilot will take the place of both Autopilot & Co-Pilot. Both features are located in the new I-pilot brain for the unit. If you want sonar in your trolling motor then you will have to still get one with US. US is completly seperate from I-pilot. I-Pilot is available for the Powerdrive and Riptide units as well as Terrova.

Second Question, I know I Pilot can run courses you set off of GPS and record and store passes you make. This may seem dumb, but I wondered if it is possible now to sync the I pilot GPS with say a Lowrance HDS GPS to transfer way points, or try to head towards a recorded way point or trail on your HDS....it seems like that would be too good to be true, but someone told me it is possible to sync the units using ethernet. Any info on the I Pilot and Terrova would be greatly appreciated. Doubt I will get it anytime soon, but its a purchase I am looking into. :cool2:

I-pilot will only save three courses up to two miles long in its internal GPS. You can't sync your HDS unit and the I-pilot for GPS purposes. But, you can sync the two units by ethernet for use in US "sonar" operation. At least with HB you can, I'm not sure about the HDS units thou. I hope there is a market for the used co-pilot and auto-pilot accessories. Because I'll have a couple for sale soon.:big_smile:

Curtis Moore
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I think you already answered my question, but I think the only 55 Thurst model of the Powerdrive V2 that is pre-loaded with I-Pilot doesn't have US2. So would you then, have to buy a trolling motor with US2, and then buy the I-Pilot add on? I know if you add Auto Pilot or Co-Pilot it voids your warranty....is this the same with adding I-Pilot, and how difficult is it to add it, like is it an at home job, or do you have to have a technician do it?

Last Question, I have read that the differences in Terrova and PowerDrive V2 are minimal. Mainly that Terrova has bigger motors that go up to 101 lbs of thrust, and that Terrova has an easier deployment mechanism. The last difference I have heard of is that Terrova's co-pilot or auto pilot can be engaged from the footpedal, and PowerDrive has to be done by pressing a button on the head of the unit. Does this really matter with I-Pilot now? Also, i heard that with I-Pilot the foot pedal is completely replaced or useless on PowerDrive, is that true?

Basically to sum up my questions, lol, is Terrova worth the extra 300-400 bucks, or would PowerDrive V2 With autopilot accomplish all of the same things for less.

Andrew
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I think you already answered my question, but I think the only 55 Thurst model of the Powerdrive V2 that is pre-loaded with I-Pilot doesn't have US2. So would you then, have to buy a trolling motor with US2, and then buy the I-Pilot add on? I know if you add Auto Pilot or Co-Pilot it voids your warranty....is this the same with adding I-Pilot, and how difficult is it to add it, like is it an at home job, or do you have to have a technician do it?

I-pilot takes the place of both auto & co-pilot. I have never seen any Minn Kotas already preloaded with I-pilot, only with auto-pilot. If you want US2 then def buy it with it installed already. Aftermarket external mount sonar is askin for trouble. There is no way that is voids the motors warranty by adding Minn Kota brand add-ons to the motor. It will take about 2 minutes to unscrew the head unit and unplug the old and plug in the new brain.

Last Question, I have read that the differences in Terrova and PowerDrive V2 are minimal. Mainly that Terrova has bigger motors that go up to 101 lbs of thrust, and that Terrova has an easier deployment mechanism. The last difference I have heard of is that Terrova's co-pilot or auto pilot can be engaged from the footpedal, and PowerDrive has to be done by pressing a button on the head of the unit. Does this really matter with I-Pilot now? Also, i heard that with I-Pilot the foot pedal is completely replaced or useless on PowerDrive, is that true?.
    Not much difference at all. Terrova is newer so there probally is a greater chance for add-ons in the future. Co-pilot is essentially just a remote control. On the Terrova you can use the foot pedal with the "remote" on the Powerdrive you can't. So yeah the foot pedal is usless with the Powerdrive. But, I have never had both of them hooked up on my Terrova. Kinda like a car with two steering wheels, probally not a good idea.:smile2:

Basically to sum up my questions, lol, is Terrova worth the extra 300-400 bucks, or would PowerDrive V2 With autopilot accomplish all of the same things for less.
    You will have to spend $400 either way to get I-pilot. Getting either a Terrova or PowerDrive of the same thrust probally won't be that much different. Terrova is the newer model and looks a lil sleeker but thats about it. But again, next year they might come out with some add-on that only gear towards their newer models. Hope this helps.

Curtis Moore
    Post Thanks / Like

It does help and i much appreciate it. There is actually a 300-400 difference in the Terrova and the PowerDrive Models....and I am not referring to the extra 400 for i pilot. I found this out after looking into it. A Terrova 55 LB Thrust costs about 800-900 bucks i believe....a power drive v2 runs about 500-650

Gary Felkner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

You should be seeing about a $240 difference in the base price of a 55lb Powerdrive V2 vs the 55lb Terrova. Also, if you look around you might find them on sale right now, especially if you happen to look at Cabelas :wink:

Gary Felkner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Does anyone know if the "retrace path" will also try to duplicate the speed of the previous run? I know there is a "cruise control" as a separate feature, but I'm wondering specifically about what it does when it's repeating a previous troll.

The reason I'm asking this.... on the compass based autopilot, for drifting on the river, we basically point the autopilot in the opposite direction from which we want to go.... it's fighting the current to slow the boat down. Isn't the GPS autopilot going to try to pull you downstream with the current when it retraces the course?

Now obviously you don't have to use the "retrace path", you can still just point the trolling motor in the upstream direction. I'm just wondering if / how useful the ability to repeat a troll will be when you are trying to slow the boat down against wind or current.

Andrew
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    Does anyone know if the "retrace path" will also try to duplicate the speed of the previous run? I know there is a "cruise control" as a separate feature, but I'm wondering specifically about what it does when it's repeating a previous troll.

The reason I'm asking this.... on the compass based autopilot, for drifting on the river, we basically point the autopilot in the opposite direction from which we want to go.... it's fighting the current to slow the boat down. Isn't the GPS autopilot going to try to pull you downstream with the current when it retraces the course?

Now obviously you don't have to use the "retrace path", you can still just point the trolling motor in the upstream direction. I'm just wondering if / how useful the ability to repeat a troll will be when you are trying to slow the boat down against wind or current.
    I hope the I-pilot duplicates the speed along with the track. But, I wouldn't put it past them to skip out on that feature. They need to release some "smarter" technology regarding the motors and gps ability to understand which way its actually going. Because as soon as you get a track saved on some water with current, its going to whip you around pretty quick and start follwing the previous saved track. On a lake the feature is going to be golden but I bet were SOL on the river.

Gary Felkner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Yeah, I'm starting to think that they don't give a lot of thought to folks who float backwards down rivers when they design stuff, trolling motors and side imaging sonar alike. Retrace, Spot Lock, and Cruise Control will all be awesome at times on slower waters, though, and that includes places like the Ohio and Kansas Rivers.

redman
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just installed and tested Terrova 80 45" on my tv-18

Just installed and tested Terrova 80 45" yesterday with co-pilot on my tv-18 Tracker and do not know how I did with out it. Got the entire deal including the co-pilot on sale at GM for 650. Man beats the crap out of my 56lb MG in every way. Just my 2cents worth.

I did not get the one with the built in transducer GM did not have it in the length I wanted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast