Quantcast
winter time channel catfish in lakes?????

In Memory of MRR

dustin blalock
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default winter time channel catfish in lakes?????

looking for some tips for catching channel cats in the winter time on lakes?

Mason
    Post Thanks / Like

From personal experience , they seem to bite rather sluggishly. Although when you do catch one , it'll be big. My advice to you is to be patient and keep moving!! Good Luck!!

frank
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree with mason and give secret 7 a try...never let me down
    john 14 : 6

Kip

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with these guys. I also down size my baits and try fishing deeper holes. They are more sluggish at times and alot of pick ups and drops. I recently switch to circle hooks for late season channel cats and have really increased my catches with the circles.

Jake
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Totally agree. Fish deep, smaller baits, and be patient. But if they arent there then you have to keep moving. If you can find them shallow which is hard to do then they are doing one thing eating. Just keep moving until you find active fish. We have been catching them in the deepest part of the lake drifting real slow. Never tried it in the middle of winter though. Always catch them anchored near the hot water discharge when it is really cold. My best advice would be to look for schools of bait around creek channels. Everything else is trial and error. Good luck.

Rob
    Post Thanks / Like

i fish the lakes around here in winter. and just a couple of things i have learned is what everyone is sayin-->smaller hooks(circle) and smaller baits..the one thing i would add is atleast for me nothing compares to shad guts in the winter have had days where i couldnt even smoke a cig. and they will move deeper unless feeding. good luck

matt
    Post Thanks / Like

Shad guts on winter channels is the only way to go.
    After the ice is off and the shad kill,they go crazy.Pretty fast action but they dont hit hard.

David
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smoothkip25 View Post
    I agree with these guys. I also down size my baits and try fishing deeper holes. They are more sluggish at times and alot of pick ups and drops. I recently switch to circle hooks for late season channel cats and have really increased my catches with the circles.
    I have never agreed more with a quote on here. I also switched to circle hooks for colder water channel cats and had almost a 100% hookup rate. In the past i have always ran khale hooks but seems in colder water the channel cats get bored and give up. So i downsized baits...i generally ran one or two wee lil shad per circle hook and tight lined...worked great for me..great advice kip!