Bull Sharks in the Ohio River

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bobby
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bull Sharks in the Ohio River

I was watching Animal Planet a while back and saw where Bull Sharks were being found (and caught) in the Mississippi River and other fresh water rivers as well. I couldn't help but wonder if one has ever been caught or sited in the Ohio River. With a lot of us off of the water at the moment and not posting as much, I thought it would be at least something to talk about. lol...

Glenn
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Bobby as I had not heard anything at all about this. Gonna have to do some more researching.

Gary Felkner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Well, the locks and dams slow them down some, but yes, absolutely:

http://www.nokomiseast.org/yard/light/creeksharks.html :wink:

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hey, thats cool. a baby bull shark would be a state record :big_smile:

Lawrence Wise
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you catch papa bull shark, and he takes you to diner.
    Women are as old as they look-Men are not old until they stop looking

Jeremy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well boys i have wondered the same thing. i have read quite a bit on bull sharks in differnt fresh water steams all over the world. looks like i am going to give up catfishing and just start chumming until i can catch one and set a new record.

great topic

Billy Vincent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Maybe they will make it up the ohio and eat some of them turds the louisville sewer dept dumped out..:smile2:

Bobby
    Post Thanks / Like

I always fish alone. After seeing this on TV, I couldn't help but get the "Spooks" at night when I was alone at 3:00am and miles up river in my John boat. lol... I guess I've watched "JAWS" too many times. :smile2: In the back of my mind, I've wondered to myself what I would actually do if I hooked on to one of these things. Would I do the smart thing (cut the line, because I would have no freaking clue how to handle a shark without getting killed), or would I sink my boat and get eaten in the middle of the night because I couldn't resist the temptation. lol... Considering what most of us are using for bait, if there are really Bull Sharks out there, we have a pretty good chance of hooking one eventually. What I watched was pretty interesting. They claim that years back, Bull sharks were rare in the fresh water rivers, but in recent years they have become much more common. Not only are they traveling the rivers more, but they are now breeding, having they're young there and seem to be making the rivers thier new homes. If they are there, it's just a matter of time before someone here catches one to prove it.

Bill
    Post Thanks / Like

there is a big difference between the Mississippi River and the Ohio. I would imagine the that the bull shark wouldnt make it too far up the Miss before deciding to head back to salt water, and I seriously doubt it would make it all the way to Kentucky...those big blues can be kinda territorial!:smile2:

Jeremy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    there is a big difference between the Mississippi River and the Ohio. I would imagine the that the bull shark wouldnt make it too far up the Miss before deciding to head back to salt water, and I seriously doubt it would make it all the way to Kentucky...those big blues can be kinda territorial!:smile2:
    i dont know if a blue can run one off but a flat would have the extra toughness to do the job i would say. when i was a kid we would hook into a shark every once in a while while fishing in the Chesapeake bay. they were a lot of fun to fight then, so i would welcome them. shark meat is fairly tasty to, so some of us would be getting some good eats out of the deal....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast