bullhead catfish as pets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jerome

Post Thanks / Like

Default bullhead catfish as pets

what does it take waterwise tank size and food. maybe even some madtoms flatties or channel cat. just wondering if anyone had any input.:big_smile:

Dave O
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

depends on what kind of tricks you want your pets to do.:big_smile: welcome to B.O.C. bigjmm

mario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaCat View Post
    depends on what kind of tricks you want your pets to do.:big_smile: welcome to B.O.C. bigjmm
    nice elk

JimmyJonny
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ive kept them in my baits tanks for long periods of time, they ate worms.

JEFFRO
    Post Thanks / Like

i had a peet flathead before he got stolen:ooooh: he "tamed down" pretty fast and would come up to your hand but wouldnt quite eat out of it..drop a worm and he get it a few inches from you.. i put soem bullheads in with him and he killed them evden though he was a little smaller than they were..got along with channels just fine though..i kept gills in with him too and he ate a butt ton of them...was a 250 gallon horse trough

Don
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, I musta missed this thread when it first came up. Anyway I keep a few in my aquariums,right now I have a 30 gallon aquarium with three bullheads in it,some sunfish,a small 10 inch long gar,and a small crappie,they eat flake fish food,I like the tropical blend,except for the gar is gotta be live food(minnows and goldfish).
    In another tank I have five bullheads 2 flatties and a channel that all are about 2 inches long plus a huge crawdad and a 7 inch goldfish that started as a 3/4 inch feeder goldfish years ago,again tropical fish food flakes make them happy.
    I have a corner tank thats 90 gallons that house two mated pairs of angelfish that are getting huge,they are about 10 inches tall now each,those four are the only critters in that tank.
    Also have a snapping turtle tank,about 12 of those little 2 inch snapppers left,dang good pets,but they grow fast,I had about 30 of them gave them out to people who wanted to keep them for pets,but they can really eat when they get about 10 inches long,dropping in live gills and watch them be hunted down and eaten.
    Lots of tanks sitting empty right now,got tired of some stuff and havn't replaced them.
    Good airpumps and filters on the tanks are essential to keeping the fish happy and healthy,the catfish and bullheads do a good job of cleaning up the tank too as they scrounge around for food. Speaking of food we only feed about once every three days,this keeps them from wasting food and not polluting the water with their excretement near as much and is actually better for them than daily feedings,even though they beg constantly for food as you walk by,just ignore them till its time to feed them.

Preston Hobbs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

i have a 10 gal. tank with a bull head and a 55 gal. with a flat head both about 4 inches long.very easy to keep.feed the bull head worms,little chunks of fish,or gold fish flakes.the flat head i feed crappie monnows,small chunks of fish,worms,pretty much anything he can get in his mouth,and if he can't he'll try.also have a 1 inch wide loggerhead in small tank,and about a 3 inch one in the larger tank,eat the same as the cats,they get along supprisingly well.had the flat about 3 trs.,and bullhead about 1 yr.

Troy
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

Default Kept a black bullhead for a winter

We put him up in a 5 gal fish tank in the house in sept. He was about 5 inchs long. We fed him worms crickets ect. He grew to about 9 inchs. We got some minners for him it was cool watchen him feed. The he devloped a habit he would bite the guts out of the minnows and leave the rest. we would let him go hungery for a week and he would still do it. He got rather docile and we could put a finger in the tank and he would come up and let ya touch his head. That spring we clipped his apo fin and turned him loose back into the creek hole we got him from. Never seen him again. He was real easy to keep for a few months. Almost no mess in the fish tank. The kids loved haven him for a pet.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Ive kept bullheads, channels and flatheads. Right now I have only a 25 inch south american redtail cat in a 125. Bullheads are cool and very easy to care for. They eat anything you give them. Dont get along well with smaller fish at all. Channel cats are a little pickier on your water quality and what they eat, still not hard to care for at all, and get along well with others. Flatheads hide all the time, arent very exiting and you will find yourself forgeting they are even in there. Somewhat difficult to find food they really like. You could go with any of these fish you want but I would recomend bullheads. Make sure you got a good filter cause they eat a lot, and crap alot also, and there messy eaters.

Preston Hobbs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by pabloracer4748 View Post
    Ive kept bullheads, channels and flatheads. Right now I have only a 25 inch south american redtail cat in a 125. Bullheads are cool and very easy to care for. They eat anything you give them. Dont get along well with smaller fish at all. Channel cats are a little pickier on your water quality and what they eat, still not hard to care for at all, and get along well with others. Flatheads hide all the time, arent very exiting and you will find yourself forgeting they are even in there. Somewhat difficult to find food they really like. You could go with any of these fish you want but I would recomend bullheads. Make sure you got a good filter cause they eat a lot, and crap alot also, and there messy eaters.
    i agree the flat head i rarerly ever see unless i come into the room at night turn on the light and then only catch a glimpse as he heads back to the log.rarely ever comes out in daytime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast