Quantcast
Best catfish lake in Nebraska?

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Don
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best catfish lake in Nebraska?

What does everyone think? Whats the best catfish lake in Nebraska? Is it Calumus? Big Mac? Sherman? Harlan? or another? leave a post of your favorite lake and the average size and catch.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

I would say merritt is probally the best....I fish harlan alot but I always just fish the spillway never in the lake...

I worked on a ranch right by merritt and use to fish it alot...I never landed anything that big but I took a stinger home everytime I was there...

my problem there was I didn't have a boat....and you need one to fish that lake

Glenn
    Post Thanks / Like

Frank I have never gotten out that way. Hope you do good.

chris maybee
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fmb View Post
    I would say merritt is probally the best....I fish harlan alot but I always just fish the spillway never in the lake...

I worked on a ranch right by merritt and use to fish it alot...I never landed anything that big but I took a stinger home everytime I was there...

my problem there was I didn't have a boat....and you need one to fish that lake
    i would say merritt i was out there not to long ago the big fish of the weekend was a 28lb channle cat and the and averge size is about 10-15 lb not to bad

John
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say Merritt. My co-worker just got back from there and he caught a 25 plus pounder. On a leach fishing for walleye of all things. I told him I was jealous because he caught the fishing I've been fishing for all year. Plus the state record Channel cat was caught out of there. So until it's beat the record I'd say it still remains #1.
    Second I'd have to say Branched Oak by Lincoln. Always caught a stringer full and usually 5 fish would go 13 to 30 pounds. So I know there are bigger ones in there.
    3rd would be Calumus. Heard nothing but good about that lake.

jr
    Post Thanks / Like

i would say merritt... havn't been there in prolly 25 years but what i hear....chris will tell ya

Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I suppose if you split the state in to 2 halves east/west it might be a different response. I'd love to try Merritt though.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjeff View Post
    I suppose if you split the state in to 2 halves east/west it might be a different response. I'd love to try Merritt though.
    well rusty that sounds like gathering talk.....I'd say we are all about half a days drive from merritt...all you eastern guys would have the long haul prize for sure...

ya'll would have to get off the interstate and hit some of dem there back roads :smile2: we don't have dem "extra wide roads" round there:smile2:

Clinton
    Post Thanks / Like

Calamus by far the tournament I was in 2 years ago there 1st place was 139lbs 7oz in 8 fish biggest one being 23lbs 2nd place was 139lbs even big fish 25lbs 3oz Big fish went to someone who was using shrimp only caught one but its 29lbs 5oz. Branched Oaks is a good lake for blues but channels not so much. My biggest blue came from that lake. 43lb. Elwood and Johnson are both good too but you just got to have a boat. which I dont have anymore which is why I dont tourney fish.

John
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fmb View Post
    well rusty that sounds like gathering talk.....I'd say we are all about half a days drive from merritt...all you eastern guys would have the long haul prize for sure...

ya'll would have to get off the interstate and hit some of dem there back roads :smile2: we don't have dem "extra wide roads" round there:smile2:
    I agree with you Frank. Let's bring the gathering out here to the west. And I would definetly take the time off of work to go to Merritt. With or without a boat. I've got my boat torn apart right now and it's not much fun. Oh well when it's done I'll be able to say I rebuilt on my own.
    I'd like to see how many of those easterners would make the trip out here for the gathering. Good response Frank I like the idea alot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast