Favorite Places to Catfish In Iowa


Thanks Thanks:  0
Solid Answer Solid Answer:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    Default Favorite Places to Catfish In Iowa

    Hello just wanted to start this thread for everyone to tell there fav lakes or river to fish for cats in Iowa .... I'm relatively new to catfishing but i will say the Missouri River along rock dikes has been ok for me . I have yet to get a monster but I'm working on it !!!

    Where in Iowa is that mighty monster catfish lurking????????? One day i will find it .


  2. #2

    Default Good luck..............

    Good luck Lad. Once ya get past the 2-4-D, Nitrogen and hog manure you might land a nice fiddler. Don't eat anything over 3 lbs and you can catch them on a simple J-hook.


  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by postbeetle View Post
    Good luck Lad. Once ya get past the 2-4-D, Nitrogen and hog manure you might land a nice fiddler. Don't eat anything over 3 lbs and you can catch them on a simple J-hook.

    Is this guy serious?

  4. #4
    Josh
    Iowa_Josh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,463

    Default

    Well, yeah he is serious. Lots of manure spills happen, watch the news and the DNR reports.

  5. #5

    Default

    Even though I don't reside in Iowa, I can tell you my cousin does. He's always telling me stories about the monsters coming from the Des Moines River. Where on the river? Not sure. Just have to do some research on it.

    Good luck on the quest for the monster. Keep at it and it will happen!!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish_Calvin View Post
    Is this guy serious?
    I'm not sure what to make of his comments lol ..

  7. #7
    Josh
    Iowa_Josh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bownero View Post
    Even though I don't reside in Iowa, I can tell you my cousin does. He's always telling me stories about the monsters coming from the Des Moines River. Where on the river? Not sure. Just have to do some research on it.

    Good luck on the quest for the monster. Keep at it and it will happen!!
    I've caught the stories too but they don't fight that hard.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.snag View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of his comments lol ..
    the part about the nitrogen means that iowa farms a lot of corn. to enhance the speed and size of crops nitrogen is used as a fertilizer. the stuff really works too so every non-organic farmer is using it. it runs off fields and into the waterways with every significant rainfall and raises the acidity off the water, mainly affecting coastal regions. i think the hog portion is pretty self-explanatory.

  9. #9

    Default

    When I think about it, I see my catfish world is pretty small. Other than 1 or 2 lakes and ponds, it has always been the Des Moines River. It seems like once you get upstream from Fort Dodge there are very few flatheads.

  10. #10
    Josh
    Iowa_Josh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,463

    Default

    I just saw the Ft dodge dam for the first time a few weeks ago. It's tall! I can see why they don't get past there very often. It didn't look like a very friendly area to bank fish, either.

    We don't have acidic water in iowa. We have green water. Nitrogen helps make the water that pea soup green color.


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •