Quantcast
mono leader with braided line?

In Memory of MRR

Casey

Post Thanks / Like

Default mono leader with braided line?

I was wondering if there is a advantage of using a mono leader with a braided line? I always use braid on braid. was just wondering if im missing out on something?

thanks

JAKE READNOUR
    Post Thanks / Like

no your not after bluecats right, the mono leader is a shock absorber for fast runs, now if you want, id put one on, it wont hurt,but in my opinoin it will not hurt to run braid leader i do, never miss fish, but it might help if your rods stiff and you got circal hooks on there, now blues, look at my post, same qwestion but in the blue forum you best have one

James
    Post Thanks / Like

Mono is harder to cut on rocks, stick ups, and the other stuff that a fish can pull your line against.
    It does provide some shock resistance, but that is not why I use it.
    If you want the low stretch of braid and the abrasion resistance of mono....go with a florocarbon leader. Seguar makes the best in my opinion. Plus they are ultra clear for those few hook shy fish in crystal clear water.
    Good luck

CHAD
    Post Thanks / Like

well first off slikk is right about the shock absorber basically with braid if you are using j hooks with no mono leader and a hard hook set your gonna rip everything loose or right out of his mouth!! another reason being that if your using 80 lb PP for example you tie a 40-50 lb mono leader it will hopefully break first and save your expensive braid and last but not least , a good mono is way more resistant against abrasion!! :smile2: hopefully that leader takes the biggest percentage of your contact with underwater structure!!

JAKE READNOUR
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMC FishHauler View Post
    Mono is harder to cut on rocks, stick ups, and the other stuff that a fish can pull your line against.
    It does provide some shock resistance, but that is not why I use it.
    If you want the low stretch of braid and the abrasion resistance of mono....go with a florocarbon leader. Seguar makes the best in my opinion. Plus they are ultra clear for those few hook shy fish in crystal clear water.
    Good luck
    but see hes a bluecat guy,lol you dont need that for flatheads, but it wont hurt by any means

Casey

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info. thats what I figured it was used for a shock leader. I dont fish for blues around here just flats and channel. thanks again

Steve
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mono is much more abrasion resistant too, braid tends to wear down when fished in and around structure so use a mono leader.

preston
    Post Thanks / Like

mono is more abrasion and shock resistant so around rocks or structure it would be less likely to get cut and hard runs in heavy current it would stretch a lil for ya but I still run braid on braid leaders i just try to get em up and away from the rocks quick. worked so far