Quantcast
How old do catfish get?

In Memory of MRR

Dan Kinder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How old do catfish get?

How old do catfish get?Like blues and flats and channels?Also how long does it take to reach full length?I fish in a man made 60 acre lake.That averages between 10 and 30ft. I know it has channels and blues in it Could there be real big ones in it?

Joe Lutey
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe I have read articles stating they live to between 15 and 30 years of age. I think size just depends on climate and availabitily of food. Fish in warmer waters will grow much faster than fish in a colder climate.

Travis Cornell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jroc777
    I believe I have read articles stating they live to between 15 and 30 years of age. I think size just depends on climate and availabitily of food. Fish in warmer waters will grow much faster than fish in a colder climate.
    I will have to agree with this statement. I heard somewhere that they did a check on this last world record bluecat (124 pounds) and they said he turned out to be something like 25 years old. As for their size, like Jroc said, I think it depends on the population density and food sources they have.

Jason
    Post Thanks / Like

i guess that depends on who's setting the hook:)

morgan
    Post Thanks / Like

Default size and water

somewhere i heard a blue or a chanle catfish can grow to full size in 1.5 acres 6 feet deep........HOOKMAN

Amanda Knotts
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Here are some numbers

Accourding to the book Catching Catfish:
    Blues: Age and Growth- Despite the massive size documented for this fish, most growth studies show a 10 year blue cat measuring only 24-36 inches long. Giant blues from such waters must be ancient animals. Under favorable conditions, however, blues exhibit greater growth rate

There is also a table of typical length at various ages,....largest being 34.1 inches at 10 years,. Another table shows a cat at 48 inches being 64.4 lbs.

As for Flatheads: Age and Growth- Flatheads grow fast, adding weight quicker than any other North American gamefish with the possible exception of common carp and grass carp. The fastest growth spurt typically occurs between ages 3 and 8, when they commonly add 2-5 bls per year. Even big flats grow fast, however, with tag returns indicating increases of more than 10lbs annually in some cases. In some southern rivers and resrvoirs, flatheads have reached 30lbs in less than 10yrs, they have been known to live up to 20 yrs. The chart shows a flat at 50 inches wieghing at 70.2 lbs and the other table shows a falt at 15 yrs wieghing 40.0lbs for northrn fish and 46.3 for southern,.

As for channels:
    age and growth- Channel cats more than 20 yrs old ahve been recorded, but most live less than 10. they grow slower than both flat head and blues. growth rates ahve been studied throughout the fishes range and show extreme variability from one body of water to antoher. A 5yr old from the Mississippi River in Iowa funs about 16 inches long. A same age fish form Lake Havasu, Cal is slightly more than half that length. A 20 in from Manitoba's Red River is prolly around 9, but a 9 yr old cat from the St. Lawrence River in Quebed is on ly 13 inches. Growth rates are determined by a number of factors including abundance and type of forage, quality of habitat, length of the growing season and competition with other fish species.

Hope that helps you out some!

Johnny
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing that info. Amanda.

Kent Spor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old age cats

Yeah I have wondered this too. A really big cat must have really beated the odds to grow that large. Imagine being at the bottom of the food chain and working your way up.

Dan Kinder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

Thanks for all the replies and info. Happy fishing