legal bait question........ - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cliff

Post Thanks / Like

You are allowed to fish with bream as bait as long as you dont have more than 50 at any time.As for the crappie there is not a size limit on them on the Chattahoochee or any of its impoundments to include Eufaula or any private pond that have crappie in them

Dick H.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It seems to be this way!

You can use Bream for Catfish bait if you hooked the Bream. Any size.

The minimum size for (Crappie) as catfish bait would be 9". That'd get you a monster Cat if you got anything beyond a Dead Crappie.

I knew a guy in Louisiana that had a Bream pen at his dock. Whatever Bream he'd catch, he'd put em in the pen and feed them till it was time to bait his Trot line. Naturally he had bigger Bream as Bait.

I don't see why you have Fish Cops down here. There is abundant fish for Hook n' line fishermen.
    The Bass guys don't eat what they catch.
    Us old guys don't even need a license.
    And I've never seen a Hook n' line boat bring in any sizable catch of anything.
    I don't see a reason for Fish Cops at all.

I did see a family of Mexicans bank fishing on Catoma lake and wonderd why the Fish Cops didnt check them for licenses.

TOMMY ROBBINS

Post Thanks / Like

Default bait

I fish Lay Lake here in Shelby County Ala. We are told that bream is ok but crappie cut bait is not, we have the 9" crappie rule also, still can't get a positive answer about goldfish.

sebrune
    Post Thanks / Like

Default true

mike is exactly right. they must be caught on a rod and reel.. both are legal

Dick H.
    Post Thanks / Like

It just chilled down a bit today. I think I'll go set out some Chicken livers tomorrow evening and pick em back up early Saturday.
    Legal or not, I'm keeping em all!:big_smile:

Jody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Raven
    This bait fish question on this part of the river hasn't really been a issue until here lately.Several years ago Alabama started recognizing bream as a bait fish and a game fish which allowed you to use them as bait.And you can catch bream in your castnet as long as you didnt have over 50 in your possesion in Alabama.But just the other day I had Ga. DNR check me on the water near Bluff Creek and I had several shad and a bream lying in the boat and he ask me where I got him.I said caught them in the cast net and he said You know thats illegal and I said no sir .Here in Alabama the law states you can use and catch bream in a castnet and He said Son you're not in Alabama your in Ga. and said that Alabama was over there on the Bank...I said you got me there ..That was on the main river about 30 yards of the Alabama bank..And then he said If I catch another one to let it go...But if I wanted to catch bream in a cast net I needed to go up a creek on the Alabama side or use hook and line..
    Now as far as Crappie I'm not 100% but they are a Game fish and you cannot fillet a game fish on the water..and I dont think this part of the river has a size limit yet.. But you dont want anything under 9 inches any way.. but www.outdooralabama.com may help some..

Eric
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alabamacatman View Post
    Hey Raven
    This bait fish question on this part of the river hasn't really been a issue until here lately.Several years ago Alabama started recognizing bream as a bait fish and a game fish which allowed you to use them as bait.And you can catch bream in your castnet as long as you didnt have over 50 in your possesion in Alabama.But just the other day I had Ga. DNR check me on the water near Bluff Creek and I had several shad and a bream lying in the boat and he ask me where I got him.I said caught them in the cast net and he said You know thats illegal and I said no sir .Here in Alabama the law states you can use and catch bream in a castnet and He said Son you're not in Alabama your in Ga. and said that Alabama was over there on the Bank...I said you got me there ..That was on the main river about 30 yards of the Alabama bank..And then he said If I catch another one to let it go...But if I wanted to catch bream in a cast net I needed to go up a creek on the Alabama side or use hook and line..
    Now as far as Crappie I'm not 100% but they are a Game fish and you cannot fillet a game fish on the water..and I dont think this part of the river has a size limit yet.. But you dont want anything under 9 inches any way.. but www.outdooralabama.com may help some..
    you cant catch bream on the hooch with a net rod and reel only while on the hooch and as of right now crappie is illegale to use as bait as far as i know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12