Weather - does it effect catfish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    John
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Weather - does it effect catfish?

Does anyone have any opinions on how the weather effects the cats behavior...

I know walleyes have very sensitive eyes and they feed much better with overcast skies and a little chop on the water....

I was wandering about catfish....with cats being somewhat more active at night I was wandering if they may feed better during overcast conditions...

:0a36:

Paul Brinkley

Post Thanks / Like

nothing cast in stone, but...........
    i seem to do better with clear skys, new moon and pressure not dropping.
    the water rising slightly seems to help the bite too. but i have caught nice fish right before an aproaching storm too, but not every time.

Tod Davis
    Post Thanks / Like

I may be wrong on this one, however, IMO it affects the fisherman more than the cats. I seem to have better luck if the wind is blowin' a bit. On still nites fishin' from the bank the bite is slow. On a windy nite the bite is really good. Temps. really don't change the bite much here in Texas. In December we were catchin' channels in 4' of water just as we were doin' in July.
    Brite sunny days seem to make the fish move in some if the water temp. is on the climb, but if the temp. is stable they seem to go a lil deeper.
    I guess the fisherman has to change tactics but I feel the bite is still on, ya just have to adjust to the weather to make it happen.

Tom
    Post Thanks / Like

I think weather does have an effect on the fish, and us too. While I think catfish might bite better with a stable weather pattern-not too hot or cold. As T-Bone points out it really matters how we fish or don't fish. I have caught just as many fish during the day as I have at night. And I have caught catfish in very hot and dry weather. I think if you can stand whatever type of condition is present, you can catch catfish.

Brent
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the fish are already wet. But ive caught cats in the rain, ive caught cats in the sun, ive caught cats with wind, and ive caught cats when it was calm. Sometimes i like to blame the weather, just to have an excuse for getting skunked.

Jim Harsh
    Post Thanks / Like

all i know is here in wv i have yet to catch a flat in the rain, and im not one to be run off cause of a little rain.

John
    Post Thanks / Like

Default proof is in the pudding

the bite was on this morning... We fished for 3 hours before we could find the fish but as soon as we found them we all started getting hits.....i landed a 19lb blue and a small 2-3 lbs blue. not to mention the missed bites.

Then it happened, the winds picked up, the skys darkened and the bite was OFF! We marked alot of fish but they all had lock jaw....

the proof is in the pudding...weather DEFFINITELY effects cats behavior!

Ryan
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had some of my best luck with it pouring rain outside at night. I thought the hard rain would turn the fishing off, but maybe the rain hitting the water helped the bite:confused: :confused:

Walt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ranks Showcase

I have caught catfish in all different types of weather conditions. I think you need to change tactics depending on what the weather is doing but Im no expert

David Phillips
    Post Thanks / Like

Weather affects all kinds of fish, including catfish, just in different ways as far as I know... gotta tailor your fishing style/tactics to the fish on whatever day/night you're fishing on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast