Removing Boat from Trailer on land?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tim
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Removing Boat from Trailer on land?

When you need to replace your bunk, or bunk carpeting, work on trailer, etc.. How do you get the boat off it at the house?

Rory (Rusty) Carter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thread I need to know how I can get my pontoon off an on the trailer at home.

USCA ACCOUNTS
    Mutt
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranks Showcase

i have access to a forlift and that is how i replaced my bunks lifted one side at a time. had the new bunks ready to go. just put a big block of wood between the hull and forks and lifted it up enough to replace the bunk. you can also use floor or bottle jacks too just put wood to protect the hull and do one side at a time.

Mark Johnson
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The type of boat and trailer you have would be helpful but what i have done is to tie off to the transom hooks and then tie to something like a nice big tree. Ease the tow vehicle forward while someone else is laying down a bed of old tires for the boat to sit on.
    Basicly you pull the trailer out from under the boat.

Alot of thought has to be put into your backyard engineering before you start.
    First, you dont want to screw up your transom and you need to make provisions for the motor. You dont want it slamming into the ground.
    Another thing to think about is if it is fiberglass you dont want to leave that hull unsupported off the trailer very long or the hull will sag and never be the same.

Last you have to have some fore thought as to how you are going to get it back on the trailer. If the trailer is a tilting model it isnt a problem.
    If it is carpeted bunks before I loaded it I would spray the bunks down with WD 40. they will be slick then and reducing stress on your bow eye.

But my first thought for a bunk replacement is to shore up the boat on the trailer with some blocks and jack to take the weight of the bunk.
    Then you can make your repairs.

Tim Hagan
    Post Thanks / Like

I run a 2x8 under the back and set it on blocks. Then you can jack up the fornt and slowly move the trail forward. When the boat is 80% off the trail block the fornt same as the back. Lift up on the fornt of the trail and put it out. I have done lots of them this way we set them on blocks at the shows the same way.

Phillip Gaines
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done it a few times, pretty much as Mark described it! What I did, was use a tow strap around the bow, to pull it off and I put the strap around the stern to pull it on, instead of all that weight on 1 bolt!

Bruno

Post Thanks / Like

If you have enough boat hanging off the back of the trailer to get blocks under it, crank your tongue jack down. The back of the boat will go up. Put some blocks under it and crank the jack back up. Now the back of the boat is off the trailer and on the blocks. You did park under a tree didn't you? OK, then tie the bow to a tree limb and crank your jack back down a little until the bow is off the trailer. Now pull the trailer out and do your repairs.

Rory (Rusty) Carter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    If you have enough boat hanging off the back of the trailer to get blocks under it, crank your tongue jack down. The back of the boat will go up. Put some blocks under it and crank the jack back up. Now the back of the boat is off the trailer and on the blocks. You did park under a tree didn't you? OK, then tie the bow to a tree limb and crank your jack back down a little until the bow is off the trailer. Now pull the trailer out and do your repairs.
    Thanks Grumpy ! That will work for my pontoon. I was trying to think of how to jack it up . I like this way, I think it will work.

Mark Johnson
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've seen it done a few ways and Tim's way is probally the best I've seen done if your terrain is right and you take the time to properly block it.
    The key here is to over engineer rather then under engineer. Boats are heavy and awkward at best to handle.
    You can wind up with alot of damage quick particularly on a glass hull.
    Cracks in glass are very expensive to fix.

If i was going to leave it off the trailer for an extended time for something like a project boat I would go ahead and cradle it mainly for the purpose of safety to people and against wind or a kid running into it and knocking it off the blocks.

Jim Harsh
    Post Thanks / Like

well that was the next step in my project. thanks for all the info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast