Quantcast
Hook size - Mainly Fish the mississippi river.

In Memory of MRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trent Marburger

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hook size - Mainly Fish the mississippi river.

I fish the mississippi river for channals mostly what size hook would you suggest and kind will they work for flats and blues to ?

Allen Schneider
    Post Thanks / Like

Dodge man here in Ok I use 7-8/0 circles fer trot lines or jugs.8/0 or bigger kahles fer cut bait and 1/0 trebs fer punch bait.Ive caught channels,blues and flats.Far as the brand, eagle claw when Im on a budget and diatchi's or gamatsu's if I'm not.Welcome to the boc bro.There is a lot of info about yer question.Use the search and see what comes up.Glad to have ya around!:cool:

Jim F
    Post Thanks / Like

Rule of thumb, You must match the bait size to the size of fish you are trying to catch, then you must match the hook size to the bait. You can't have large bait and small hook or small bait and large hook. For cannel cats I use 3/0 to 5/0 hook. Eagle Claw or Gamakatsu. You have to find the brand & type that works for you. I would say you should try some kahle or octopus hooks. I personally don't like circle hooks, but they may work for you.

Mark Haught

Post Thanks / Like

Get an assortment of different style hooks and sizes, from j hooks, circles, etc. I usualy will use circle hooks and true turn hooks from 7/0 on up depending on bait size and what I am targetting. For me the tru turns work best with cut bait and usualy circles and j hooks for live bait.

Jeremy
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this topic will vary from person to person, but I use the 4/0 Khale almost exclusively. There are alot of people who use a lot larger hook, but I really like how the khale hook holds cut bait. I like the design of the Khale in general.

jerry

Post Thanks / Like

What JimF said...match your hook to your bait size to what you're trying to catch. I use 2/0 & 3/0 mustad stainless steel hooks J hooks for my trotlines. My target fish is 1 lb to 5 lbs, but have caught countless numbers of 20 to 40 lbs fish on them.

Bryan Sirotkin
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd agree with JimF... Match the bait to the fish and the hook to the bait...

Hook size really only matters for the bait size anyway... i've seen (and caught) 3-5# fish (typically ba$$) on a size 8 (not 8/0, and 8) when fishing for bluegils and Trout fishermen will use down to a size 30 or 32 sometimes (basically you need a microscope to tie it on to the hook) and they catch 20 +inch trout and everything on them.

I've also caught tiny bluegills on size 2/0 hooks and 3/0 hooks where they almost have to suck the point in point first and then turn to the hook around somehow to get hooked... So you'll have no problem hooking fish pretty much what ever size hook you use... If your missing alot of strikes, the fish are either small and aggressive or biting very lightly and just mouthing it and spitting it out before you get to it... or your hooks are turning back into the bait... which means you need to get slightly larger hooks or reposition where your putting the hook in the bait... for cutbait i 95% of the time hook it in the corner...

Clarence Cremea
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with matching the bait to the hook. I fish for channels in the lakes and rivers and use a 6/0-7/0 circle hook. If you never tried them, do it. It will change the way you fish.

Vernon Parrish
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hooks

Trent, in the last fifteen months or so there has only been one hook tied on the end of my cat rods. That is the 5/0 eagle claw J-hook. I can regularly purchase them in a box of fifty at any walmart in the area for less than five dollars a box. Also I have caught six inch blues to fifty pound blues on them and channels and flatheads of all sizes between them. It is the only catfish hook that I need or want. I have used baits from nightcralwers to small threadfin shad to hand size bluegill(hooked whole live) and 10 inch baitfish. They have been very successfull with all sorts of cutbait also. Vern

Rex Reynolds
    Post Thanks / Like

like someone said everyones opinion will vary here. for eatin size channels1-4 lbs i like a 2/0 eagle claw snelled bait saver hook.for larger channels i like 3or 4/0 khale. for blues and flatheads i like 7/0 to 10/0 khales . i use these hooks on rod and reel with cut bait or live . mostly shad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast