Flathead Catfish with Parasitic Worms


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Ryan Martin
    martinman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Clinton, Iowa
    Posts
    357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Flathead Catfish with Parasitic Worms

    All,

    I went fishing over the weekend and caught a few flatheads. I kept a couple small ones to eat the next night. As I was cleaning one of them, I noticed a bunch of parasitic worms that were attached to the outside of its stomach. I have never seen this before. They were real small, say the thickness of a real small rubber band, and curled into a circle when not attached.

    My question to everyone is has anyone ever seen this before? What kind of worms are they and can they migrate from the stomach lining to the meat of the fish?

    I know that there are some parasitic worms that can be found inside the stomach, but I have never heard of them on the outside.


    I am open to anyone's interpretation of this.



    Ryan


  2. #2
    Greg
    Snagged2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Verde Valley AZ
    Posts
    6,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Ranks Showcase

    Default

    Hi, I've caught some LM bass (while bait fishing) with the same thing,, also, those fish had some red/pink colored "sores" on the outside of the body.. was wondering if the cats you caught had the sores??
    also, did a bit of research, and the only thing I could find was to cut away the affected meat.. It didn't indicate anything else detrimental...
    but, ,,,, I don't know


  3. #3
    Ray...Bayrunner
    gilmafam's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagged2 View Post
    Hi, I've caught some LM bass (while bait fishing) with the same thing,, also, those fish had some red/pink colored "sores" on the outside of the body.. was wondering if the cats you caught had the sores??
    also, did a bit of research, and the only thing I could find was to cut away the affected meat.. It didn't indicate anything else detrimental...
    but, ,,,, I don't know
    Ryan... Like Greg says... cut away any problem areas... I caught LMBass with same as well as stripers in the Delta but all on the outside of the stomach.....I mostly fillet my fish and then check the meat closer...

    good luck,

    Bayrunner Ray

  4. #4
    Greg
    AlaCatter's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I caught a couple of rock pattern flatheads last year that had worms on them. The worms were short and fat though, about the size of a good buger. It was in the middle of summer, I thought it had something to do with the heat. Plus the fish they were on weighed 25 and 30 lbs. I release them all so I don't know if it affects the meat. Fish were out of the Coosa river north AL. They would probably be good bream bait.

  5. #5
    John A
    JAinSC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Everything I have always heard is that there is nothing that lives in fish flesh (no parasites, no worms) that will do you any harm so long as you cook the fish. Most of the parasites won't bother you even if you eat them raw, but why take the chance, I say. I personally don't like the idea of eating worms (even if they are cooked and dead), so I cut away any little areas of meat with worms in it.

    There are lots of kinds of worms in fishes. Some are actively making a living in the gut or in the meat. Some are just curled up and waiting for the next host. Most parasites have complex life cycles with more that one host and they will curl up in the meat or other places and go dormant until the fish is eaten by the next host (osprey or bear or dolphin) and then they reactivate and go on to the next stage of their life cycle.

  6. #6
    Stephen
    scwhite's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Shreveport , La.
    Posts
    393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes I find Flatheads with worms in the belly meat all the time just cut them out and don't eat any fish row, Cook your fish . If you see a dark spot in the meat where it should be white meat , cut it out it could be a worm or just a blood shot spot either way you dont won't to eat it . And if you are trimming your meat and there is anyone standing around watching you . Wife or friends . Don't say a word just cut it out and discard it and keep right on trimming your meat . If you start shouting out Ha look at this it looks like a Worm . You have just Runt the Fish fry The Women and Friends won't want to eat your fish . Ever again And there is noughting wrong with the fish . Just be quit and do you job.

  7. #7
    David
    USE TO BE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I caught a bunch of Channel cats that had some type of worm attached around the mouth area. Also seen them on their fins. They are grayish white, about the size of a small grain of rice.

  8. #8
    John A
    JAinSC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USE TO BE View Post
    I caught a bunch of Channel cats that had some type of worm attached around the mouth area. Also seen them on their fins. They are grayish white, about the size of a small grain of rice.
    Those sound like the small leeches I see on cats in brackish water around here some times. I never see them in full fresh water, though.

  9. #9
    David
    USE TO BE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wondered if they were some kind of a leech. I've never seen them on the Flatheads I've caught, just the channels.

  10. #10
    Jimmy
    BigOBear's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martinman View Post
    All,

    I went fishing over the weekend and caught a few flatheads. I kept a couple small ones to eat the next night. As I was cleaning one of them, I noticed a bunch of parasitic worms that were attached to the outside of its stomach. I have never seen this before. They were real small, say the thickness of a real small rubber band, and curled into a circle when not attached.

    My question to everyone is has anyone ever seen this before? What kind of worms are they and can they migrate from the stomach lining to the meat of the fish?

    I know that there are some parasitic worms that can be found inside the stomach, but I have never heard of them on the outside.


    I am open to anyone's interpretation of this.



    Ryan
    I've seen exactly what you're describing on flathead guts from Medina Lake where I live. Never in the meat... just on the exterior of the guts inside the gut cavity. Asked a game warden buddy about it last year and he said his official answer was to fry them hot... maybe even overcook the meat just a little and you'd be ok. His unofficial answer was to not eat it. I also asked a few old timers on the water about it and they gave the same first part of my buddy's answer... fry them hot and you'll be ok. I have 5 kiddos and fight cold, allergy, and flu bugs enough as it is, so I catch my flatheads elsewhere just to be on the safe side.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •