aluminum livewell thickness?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    James
    Post Thanks / Like

Default aluminum livewell thickness?

I went to order aluminum sheet metal today for my livewell. I quickly realized I didn't know all I needed to know. Neither did the sales clerk. So I ask this to you guys. What thickness do I need? My box will be 45"long, 21" wide, 23" deep. It will be incased in a 48"long, 24" wide, 24" deep plywood/resin box. It will also be insulated between the two. Also he recomended that I do not 90 degree bend aluminum. Instead cut all pieces and weld. Good or bad idea? Thanks

Branden
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not real sure, but you will save on some of the needed thickness by having it in the 'glass box. Take a look around the web at livewell and boat manufacturer sites and see if any of them list the thickness of their products:wink:

James
    Post Thanks / Like

The closest info I could find on the web was 1/8 " thick. I sent an email to boc sponsor fishmate to get their input and possibly utilize their services. I was thinking about if 3/32 would work to save some more cost then weight.

Branden
    Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum prices are down and 1/8 would be a little easier to weld than 3/32. Not sure if you're doing it yourself or having it fabricated, but if you're having it built the labor costs to build it will make up most of the cost, not the aluminum.

James
    Post Thanks / Like

1/8 = .125 and 3/32= .09 . One 4 x 12' sheet of 1/8" 6061 aluminum locally runs 320.00 per sheet. .09 would cost about $75 less. Plus I think 5025 would work and save even more.

James
    Post Thanks / Like

I meant 5052 not 5025.

Jay Smith
    Post Thanks / Like

They are right about bending it. Aluminum over a thickness of about 20 gauge tends to crack if you bend it 90 degrees. This can be avoided if you are doing it in a press brake with a large bottom die opening. But this creates a large radius at the bend. I would weld the corners. As far as thickness goes, 12 gauge (.08) will be plenty strong. You could also get away with as thin as 14 gauge (.064) if you cross brake your pieces.

James
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grimpuppy View Post
    They are right about bending it. Aluminum over a thickness of about 20 gauge tends to crack if you bend it 90 degrees. This can be avoided if you are doing it in a press brake with a large bottom die opening. But this creates a large radius at the bend. I would weld the corners. As far as thickness goes, 12 gauge (.08) will be plenty strong. You could also get away with as thin as 14 gauge (.064) if you cross brake your pieces.
    crossbrake?

Branden
    Post Thanks / Like

Bo, if you have some scrap yards close to you give them a call and see if they will sell you aluminum. I've been getting my materials from a local scrapyard for a lot cheaper than what it runs new. Yeah, you may have to get a couple of smaller pieces instead of 1 4 x 8 sheet, but if you find one like I've been dealing with here you'll pay about half or a quarter of what it would run you new. Just a thought.

James
    Post Thanks / Like

I will try the scrap yard idea. The closest one is 45 miles away so physicaly checking is not much of a option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast